- SERI Morphology Core
Dear Core User,
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, per directives from Senior management at Partners and the Hospitals, this research core facilities will have a hiatus in their service offering. We will not be offering service till we are advised to resume operation.
Please stay safe in this challenging time and we look forward to working with you in the future.
SERI Morphology Core
Director: Pablo Argüeso, PhD, Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Dept. of Ophthalmology
Schepens Eye Research Institute of Mass. Eye and Ear, 20 Staniford Street, Boston, MA 02474
The Schepens Eye Research Institute of Mass. Eye and Ear (SERI) Morphology Core provides technical assistance and services for light, confocal, and electron microscopy. Priority will be given to SERI PI Researchers with NIH-NEI R01 Grants as we are principally funded through a NIH-National Eye Institute P30 Core Grant (P30EY003790). Routine histology sample preparation services include: Routine histological processing, sectioning and staining for frozen, paraffin, methacrylate and epoxy resin tissue preparations. Complete transmission electron microscopy (TEM) service includes; automated processing of tissue, semi-thin and thin sectioning of cell and tissue samples, TEM imaging and digital image acquisition (FEI Tecnai G2 Biotwin Spirit TEM with a AMT Camera). The Core Facility Staff assists with technical problems, procedures, and training on instrumentation inclusive of; Ocular histology & electron microscopy protocols, cryostat sectioning, brightfield, fluorescence, confocal and electron microscopy. The SERI Morphology Core provides training on two Leica confocal microscopes (SP5 & SP8), Nikon Epifluorescent Microscopes, and a Leica LMD laser microdissection system for SERI Researchers. For PHS, External PHS Academic, and External Industry Clients please contact us with service requests prior to ordering with PCMS in order to potentially accommodate your needs.
- Technical assistance and sample preparation for light, electron, and confocal microscopy. Services include; frozen, paraffin, methacrylate, epoxy processing and sectioning and complete transmission electron microscopy services.
- Equipment resource, housing a new laser microdissection system, two confocal microscopes (Leica SP5 & SP8 Inverted), automated histology and transmission electron microscopy tissue processors, ultramicrotomes, cryostats, various fluorescence and phase microscopes and printers to process digital images.
- Consultation for various histology, electron microscopy and microscopy procedures and troubleshooting, and training on all microscopes.
Core Manager & EM Specialist: Philip Seifert
Phone: (617) 912-0209
Histology Technician: Bianai Fan
Phone: (617) 912-0209
Research Technician: Xinyao Hu
Phone: (617) 912-0209
Location of Core:
Schepens Eye Research Institute of Mass. Eye and Ear, SERI Morphology Lab (Room 139), 20 Staniford Street, Boston, MA 02474
Please limit sample identification to 6 or less digits/letters in length (e.g. 302OD, 302OS)
Paraffin (Full Service includes, H&E staining and unstained slides for immunostaining)
Methacrylate (i.e. GMA resin)
Frozen Sectioning (includes, H&E staining and unstained slides for immunostaining)
Semi-Thin (1-micron) Epoxy (e.g. Tol. blue & PPD axon staining)
Conventional Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM, includes; semithin sectioning, ultramicrotomy, grid staining and 1 hour TEM imaging time/sample)
Training on various Brightfield, Fluoresence, Laser Microdissection and Confocal Microscopes
Wide Format Poster Printing
To create a new customer account and to request services for an existing account please Click Here.
Service Request Instructions:
1) Please Identify all samples along with species, fixative, stain (H&E, PAS, Tol. Blue, or PPD), # of Unstained slides, orientation, sectioning details and inform us of any special requests to the 'Additional information about the Project / Request' text box.
2) Print out all Morphology sample 'Service Requests' and submit the printed form along with samples to SERI Morphology Personnel in SERI room 139 Core Lab.
3) For Poster printing, please attach PPT and PDF files to Service Request page submissions.
4) Client Computer is available in Room 139 Lab for accessing and printing Service Requests, if needed.
5) All publications and presentations from work received through the SERI Morphology Core must include the following in the Acknowledgements or funding sources; NIH National Eye Institute Core Grant P30EY003790.